Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Raising the New England Flag

I had not intended to post again today. However, I could not resist when cousin Jamie sent me an email to say that William (Bill) Oates, the inimitable archivist at the University of New England, had produced another piece for Archives Outside on New State material.

This photos shows the 1962 raising of the flag at the new campaign offices in the Minto Building, Rusden Street, Armidale.

As I did with Bill's previous piece in New England Story - new states, archives and the preservation of our past, I will do a full companion piece providing more historical material.

For the moment, its nice just to share the photo!      

2 comments:

Keith said...

This is very remiss of me Jim, I look at all your posts and have never payed any attention to the flag! I had no idea that we had our own flag. COOL! as my sons would say!
Le Loup.
PS. What is the history behind this flag? How was it chosen?

Jim Belshaw said...

Hi LL. And our own anthem too!

I don't know the full history of the flag. It is obviously based on the English and Scottish lion symbol.

By the time I became aware of the new state cause it just was the flag.

Another piece of history to check on!