“Armidale is a good fit as a new regional settlement location for humanitarian entrants to
- availability of mainstream services such as health and education;
- opportunities for employment;
- the size, cultural and religious composition of potential settlement communities;
- the availability of affordable rental housing;
- the support of the local council and community in welcoming newsettlers;
- the potential for the harmonious settlement of the specific group.
University of New England International Hub
Civic welcome for International Students
"The federal government has finally recognised Armidale as a suitable refugee settlement location. It comes after years of lobbying by refugee advocacy groups and Armidale Regional Council.
“It’s not just Armidale who has been pushing for this either,” Sanctuary Humanitarian Settlement member Robin Jones said.
“Multicultural NSW has promoted it, The Refugee Council of Australia has promoted it, Paul Power [its chief executive] has promoted it, it’s been a long time coming.”
Dr Jones said this was excellent news for Armidale.
“We’ve ready, willing and able, let me assure you,” she said.
The city will also receive a boost in refugee services to assist the new arrivals according to Dr Jones.
“We already have four services here - and the major one is Northern Settlement Services,” she said.
“But we also have a refugee nurse - two refugee nurses in fact. “We have STARTTS, which is a councilling service that comes up from
.“We have TAFE that has the language programs. Coffs Harbor
“And we have a community that is very supportive too"
"NSW co-ordinator general for refugee resettlement Peter Shergold told a resettlement conference in
Sydneythat efforts to help settle refugees in rural and regional areas would ease pressure on Fairfieldand neighbouring councils. Sydney
He said NSW and
’s refugee intakes were “eminently manageable”. NSW took more than half of the additional intake of Syrian and Iraqi refugees, in addition to its regular refugee resettlement program. Australia
Refugees made up a tiny percentage – 0.14% - of population growth in NSW, Shergold said.
“But refugees don’t just distribute across NSW. In this last year, relatively few refugees have gone to Wagga, or Albury or
Coffs Harbour, or even to Newcastleor . To a very large extent these additional refugees have come to western Wollongong Sydney… they’ve come to . That’s the challenge.” Fairfield
Shergold said the issues facing Fairfield City Council were “acute”, and that a broader spread of resettlement would ease pressure in that area, and, critically, assist refugees in finding employment.
“What refugees want is a job. And that has been the most challenging, helping refugees do what they want to do most, which is get employment.
Armidale Campus, New England Institute of TAFE, location of TAFE NSW's new digital hub
Shergold welcomed the Armidale announcement, saying the regional city had the necessary infrastructure and support services already in place to help refuges.
“This decision has the potential to boost Armidale’s local economy, create new business and most of all, become a template for the kind of Australian mateship the world needs to see.”
- Guardian Iraqi and Syrian refugees will be settled in Armidale from next year
- The Armidale Express The federal government has finally recognised Armidale as a suitable refugee settlement location.
- SBS 'Benefits on both sides': Armidale revealed as new home for Iraqi and Syrian refugees
- Official Press Release
- 27 July SSI release on award of contract for delivery of settlement services
- SSI release on Armidale annoucment