Photo: Booloominbah, University of New England
Founded in 1938 as a College of the University of Sydney, the University of New England has played a major role in New England life.
Because of my connection with UNE, I have now written a very large number of posts with some reference to the University. This page provides an entry point to some of those posts.
I am breaking the page into two parts.
The first part provides a list of posts in date order. The second part will group posts by subject. The sheer number of posts means that it will take time to get the whole series up.
Chronological listing of posts
- 17 April 2006. On History, Causation and E J Tapp. Ted Tapp taught philosophy of history at UNE.
- 8 July 2006. Welsman, University of New England and Planning. UNE strategic planning process. All of the various posts on UNE strategic planning include a variety of material on different aspects of the University including its history.
- 30 July 2006. On Rabbitohs, Welsman and the University of New England. More on UNE strategic planning.
- 31 July 2006. UNE Strategic Planning - Scoping Issues.
- 1 August 2006. UNE Strategic Planning - markets and marketing.
- 2 August 2006. A Pause for Reflection - in praise of UNE.
- 4 August 2006. UNE Strategic Planning - more on markets and marketing.
- 12 August 2006. New England Australia - Writers includes references to a number of writers with UNE connections.
- 13 August 2006. UNE Strategic Planning - impact of new technology.
- 14 August 2006. In praise of Patrice Newell. Story includes some cross-links to the UNE experience.
- 22 August 2006. Death of David Wright. The Wright family had a long connection with UNE.
- 24 August 2006. New England, Australia - still more writers. About Bob Herbert, Geoff Page, two writers with UNE connections.
- 6 September 2006. UNE Strategic Planning - Impact of New Technology 2.
- 13 September 13, 2006. Migration Matters - A Personal Perspective: beginnings. This post on a different theme includes material about growing up in Armidale. Background only.
- 15 September 2006. Migration Matters - A Personal Perspective: Times of Change. More material on the migration theme with an Armidale/UNE connection 50s and 60s connections.
- 27 September 2006. New England Australia - the siblings. About the children of NEUC staff.
- 28 October 2006. Confessions of a Policy Adviser - 2:Beginnings. Picture of life at UNE in the mid sixties.
- 5 November 2006. Patrick Desmond Fitzgerald Murray 1900-1967. Story of an international scientist with UNE connnections in the first half of the sxties.
- 7 November 2006. 'The Holiest Campus', its Decline and Transformation: the University of New England, 1946-1979. Drawing from Don Beer, religious life at UNE.
- 1 December 2006. The New Zealand Belshaws - now a dispersed Pacific family. Post an a family with strong UNE connections.
- 4 December 2006. William G (Bill) Hoddinott & New England's Aboriginal languages. The work of Bill Hoddinott in recording details of New England's Aboriginal languages.
- 17 February 2007. Belshaw Writings on Australian Aborigines 3: Australian Prehistory features the pioneering work of Isabel McBryde while at UNE, as well as the work of some of her students.
- 27 February 2007. Helen's UNSW Economic Development Course. A short if jaundiced post on economic development studies at UNSW with a cross-comparison to the Armidale experience.
- 10 March 2007. Ranking Australia's Universities. A new method of ranking Australia's universities. UNE comes in at second equal.
- 10 March 2007. Australia's Regional Universities and Indigenous Advancement. UNE comes in in the top group.
- 8 April 2007. A Far Country - Armidale Demonstration School 1955 includes a number of references to kids with UNE connections.
- 22 August 2007. University of New England acts to stamp out cheating by overseas students. UNE is not alone in facing the problem of cheating.
- 24 August 2007. University of New England scores high on student satisfaction.
- 4 November 2007. Musings on the University of New England Experience. Why UNE is still better.
- 9 November 2007. University of New England re-organises - 10 new professorial heads of schools to be appointed. One outcome from UNE's strategic review.
- 10 November 2007. Saturday Morning Musings - a variety. The Exploration Society, the 1967 Orientation Handbook etc.
- 23 January 2008. The changing meaning of words and the historian's craft. Includes some rather jaundiced views on my experience as a PhD student at UNE.
- 24 January 2008. Selection, perception and bias in the historian's craft. Includes more on my PhD.