Wednesday, October 13, 2021

New England travel wish list: visiting Comboyne

 


I have never been to Comboyne or its surrounding plateau. Many years ago after my father retired he took mum on a series of road trips including three days on the Comboyne Plateau. He came back praising its beauty. 

I was reminded of all this by  a story on ABC Comboyne locals rally to revitalise their mountain-top town after trifecta of drought, bushfires, floods. It's a story of recovery in the face of isolation and natural disaster. 

Comboyne lies to the south west of Port Macquarie, north west of Taree. It's a bit over three hours from Armidale by road. Definitely time for me to visit!  

1 comment:

Johnb said...

I knew it from its reputation for dairying Jim but never visited during those years. My one and only visit was in 2010 on our first trip back to Oz and the beginning of returning to Oz. We found it a beautiful drive up from the Manning to arrive on the Hastings at Wauchope. The bell birds to be heard are a particular memory.