Wednesday, May 09, 2018

BEYOND ART: True Stories from the desert by senior Aboriginal men at the Tamworth Regional Gallery


NEW LIGHT: Tamworth gallery director Bridget Guthrie with a new exhibition highlighting contemporary Indigenous art. Photo: Peter Hardin 300418PHE043

I am often frustrated that I simply cannot get in the car and drive to visit new New England exhibitions or celebrations. A case in point is the new display at the Tamworth Regional Galley highlighted in the Northern Daily Leader story  Tamworth gallery highlighting contemporary Aboriginal art.

The exhibition, BEYOND ART: True Stories from the desert by senior Aboriginal men, highlights the streak in contemporary Indigenous art that combines innovation with deep connection to country.The exhibition is open until 10 June. I would encourage you to visit if you can.

While I greatly support the exhibition and the work done by Ms Guthrie, I must admit to a feeling of pique, I would like to see, I would really like to see, a greater focus on current Aboriginal cultural activities across Northern NSW, my broader New England. It seems to me that because we don't exist in a formal legal sense, we get ignored. .

No comments: