Sunday, June 18, 2006

Towards A History of New England: pause for reflection

Blogs are meant to be about conversation, about discourse. When I began this blog, I thought of it as a way of encouraging conversation about the history and culture of Australia's New England.

Now it has evolved into something different, a vehicle for outlining New England's history, a way of providing material from my own past historical research. I do not know that this is an appropriate role for a blog. I do feel, however, that if I do not do this then other time pressures may in fact stop me ever making my work and ideas accessible to others.

The difficulty with conventional academic writing is that each block must be properly researched and presented. This takes time and focus, both lacking in my current life. So this blog is at least a partial substitute.

No comments: